John Q is a botch job, even though it's crawling with Oscar winners and nominees. Denzel Washington, fresh from his triumph in Training Day, stars as a blue-collar father holding a hospital hostage so his young son can get a heart transplant. Robert Duvall plays a hostage negotiator, and James Woods is the surgeon forced to operate at gunpoint. Happy paychecks, guys. What looked like a thriller with a social conscience — those HMO bastards! — is a subpar episode of ER. Working from a trite script by James Kearns, director Nick Cassavetes (She's So Lovely) stoops mighty low. In one scene, Anne (Call Me Crazy) Heche, as a hard-ass hospital lackey, tells John Q. that his son must die for lack of health insurance and then lets a tear trickle down her cheek when Dad bids his son farewell on TV — those media bastards sneaked in a camera! John Q. is as fake as that tear, an exploitative mess trying to pass as social activism.
- John Q.
- Denzel Washington, Robert DuVall, Anne Heche, James Woods, Eddie Griffin
- Directed by Nick Cassavetes
From The Archives Issue 394: April 28, 1983
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal10 Sex Positions That Will Get Her Off Every Time
Cracked22 Movies That Made Huge Mistakes You Completely Missed
Mental Floss10 People Banned From SNL
Salon10 Famous Geniuses And Their Drugs Of Choice
MTV News6 Cringe-Worthy VMA Moments We’ll Never Forget
Men's Journal9 Traits That Attract Women
- Donald Trump Just Stopped Being Funny
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- 20 Best TV Shows of 2015 So Far
- N.W.A: American Gangstas
- 500 Greatest Songs of All Time
- Bruce Springsteen on Making 'Born to Run': 'We Went to Extremes'
- The Point of No Return: Climate Change Nightmares Are Already Here
- Watch Sarah Palin's Gushing Interview With Donald Trump