Kevin Smith (Clerks, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back) has brought so much scrappy wit to movies that you can almost forgive this treacly tale of Big Apple music publicist Ollie Trinke (Ben Affleck), whose wife (Jennifer Lopez — no cracks, please) dies in childbirth. Now Ollie lives in New Jersey with his widowed dad (George Carlin), who helps him raise his eight-year-old daughter, Gertie (cutie-pie Raquel Castro). Tears are jerked as Ollie finds love with a video clerk (Liv Tyler). But Smith cuts the goo with laughs, especially when Gertie does a song in school from Sweeney Todd, Stephen Sondheim's demonic musical about cannibalism. Affleck is modest and engaging, which keeps the movie out of Gigli territory. But it's close.
- Jersey Girl
- Ben Affleck, Liv Tyler, George Carlin, Raquel Castro, Jason Biggs
- Directed by Kevin Smith
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
SalonThe 19 Greatest Double Entendre Songs
VultureAll 169 Seinfeld Episodes, Ranked from Worst to Best
Guitar WorldThe 20 Best Rock Guitar Intros of All Time
DiffuserMusicians We've Already Lost in 2016
Mental Floss24 Things You Didn't Know About 'Goodfellas'
Cracked7 Insane Things TV Shows Did When They Ran Out Of Money
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Super Bowl Halftime Shows Ranked: From Worst to Best
- The Vampire Squid Tells Us How to Vote
- What the L? Why the NFL Sacked Roman Numerals for Super Bowl 50
- See Larry David's 'Bern Your Enthusiasm' 'SNL' Parody
- In Defense of the CD
- Watch Metallica's 'The Night Before' Pre-Super Bowl Concert Live
- 100 Greatest Guitarists