Kevin Smith (Clerks, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back) has brought so much scrappy wit to movies that you can almost forgive this treacly tale of Big Apple music publicist Ollie Trinke (Ben Affleck), whose wife (Jennifer Lopez — no cracks, please) dies in childbirth. Now Ollie lives in New Jersey with his widowed dad (George Carlin), who helps him raise his eight-year-old daughter, Gertie (cutie-pie Raquel Castro). Tears are jerked as Ollie finds love with a video clerk (Liv Tyler). But Smith cuts the goo with laughs, especially when Gertie does a song in school from Sweeney Todd, Stephen Sondheim's demonic musical about cannibalism. Affleck is modest and engaging, which keeps the movie out of Gigli territory. But it's close.
- Jersey Girl
- Ben Affleck, Liv Tyler, George Carlin, Raquel Castro, Jason Biggs
- Directed by Kevin Smith
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Real People Screwed By 'True-Story' Movies Based On Them
Diffuser27 Rockers Who Died At Age 27
VultureEvery American Idol Finalist, Ranked From Worst to Best
Salon10 Insane Climax Tips
Mental Floss11 Actors Who Asked For Their Characters To Be Killed Off
Cracked6 On-Set Arguments That Almost Derailed Classic Films
- Gwen Stefani Enlists George Clooney, Julia Roberts for 'Carpool Karaoke'
- Prince in the Nineties: An Oral History
- Arsenio Hall Sues Sinead O'Connor for $5 Million
- Why America Can't Quit the Drug War
- Want to Move to Canada If Trump Wins? Not So Fast
- 10 Songs You Didn't Know Ed Sheeran Wrote
- See System of a Down's Serj Tankian Perform New Political Song 'Artsakh'
- ‘Captain America: Civil War’: Why Chris Evans Is the Anxious Avenger