Pretty cast. Potent premise. Piss-poor execution. And so dies In Time, a wannabe sci-fi epic set in the near future where time literally is money. Filmmaker Andrew Niccol, who earned praise for directing Gattaca and co-writing The Truman Show, sees a world where everyone stops aging after 25 (like in L.A. but without the need for plastic surgeons), at which point they die or lie, cheat, steal and kill to earn more time – the years, months, weeks, hours and seconds ticking off like digital clocks on their forearms. Justin Timberlake plays Will Salas, a ghetto working stiff who lives day to day, dreaming of getting his mom (Olivia Wilde) – you heard me – to a better life. The greedy capitalists are repped by Philippe Weis (Vincent Kartheiser) – that's right, Mad Men's Pete Campbell is the villain – who's got centuries on his arm. He's like Klaus on The Vampire Diaries but with a Bernie Madoff complex. Naturally, there's a love interest for Will, Weis' daughter Sylvia, played by Amanda Seyfried in a red wig that saps her beauty. Naturally, Will aims to bring Sylvia's daddy down, giving Timberlake a chance to show his action chops, which reveal he's in top shape (we knew that) but don't exploit the acting gifts he displayed in The Social Network. Then our lovers get chased by car and on foot by the Timekeeper, a determined cop played by Cillian Murphy as if he were Javert in a revival of Les Miserables. There's a lot of huffing and puffing to convince audiences who can't Occupy Wall Street to occupy a seat at In Time. Don't buy the time. Check your forearm. My guess is you'll find you've lost two hours you'll never get back.
- In Time
- Justin Timberlake, Amanda Seyfried
- Directed by Andrew Niccol
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Things That Secretly Affect Who You Want to Have Sex With
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies Of The Past Year
Cracked4 Lead Singers That Sound Shockingly Bad Without the Band
Cinema Blend15 Incredible Facts You Didn't Know About Back To The Future
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
- Being Ringo: A Beatle's All-Starr Life
- Hear Slayer's Eerie New Crusher 'When the Stillness Comes'
- Black Sabbath's Bill Ward: 'I Don't Know If I'm a Member'
- Campaign 2016: Hillary Clinton's Fake Populism Is a Hit
- Tim McGraw's Sandy Hook Show Sparks Controversy, Billy Currington Bails
- Green Day Return to the Stage With Raucous, Career-Spanning Cleveland Gig
- Bill Withers: The Soul Man Who Walked Away
- Watch John Krasinski Nail N'Sync's 'Bye Bye Bye' on 'Lip Sync Battle'