Held up for over a year because no one could decide if the damn thing was too gay for public consumption, I Love You Phillip Morris finally sees the light of day. OK, the movie, written and directed by John Requa and Glen Ficara of Bad Santa fame, is all over the place. But it's also outrageously funny. Jim Carrey swans around making nutso magic as Steven Russell, a Texas police officer who realizes he is gay, starts cruising rough trade, becomes a con man and ends up in jail where he slow dances to Johnny Mathis with inmate Phillip Morris (Ewan McGregor), a bottle blond bottom in for grand theft auto. They fall hard for one another and Stephen schemes to spring them both from the slammer. It's more complicated than that, but who has the time? So begins a series of escapes, disguises and reunions that defy belief. Stop fighting it. I Love You Phillip Morris is based on fact. Career criminal Stephen is currently serving a 144-year sentence. It's one crazy love story, but Carrey and McGregor make it work by making us buy the romance as the real thing. There's something about these Marys that pulls you in.
I Love You Phillip Morris
- I Love You Phillip Morris
- Jim Carrey, Ewan McGrgor
- Directed by John Requa & Glenn Ficarra
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Mental Floss10 Artists Who Hated Their Biggest Hit
Guitar WorldThe 25 Greatest Acoustic Songs In Hard Rock
VultureThe 30 Most Important Sex Scenes in Movie History
Salon10 Songs With Hidden Drug References
TestTubeHow Much Sex Should You Be Having?
Mental Floss15 Things You Didn’t Know About 'The Godfather'
- 100 Greatest Bob Dylan Songs
- Motley Crue's Tommy Lee: The Exit Interview
- See Radiohead Play 'Creep' Live For First Time in Seven Years
- Summer 2016's 30 Hottest Tours
- Joe Walsh: My Life in 15 Songs
- 'Uncharted 4' Director Neil Druckmann on Nathan Drake, Sexism in Games
- How the Monkees Got Their 1960s Groove Back
- 10 Best 'Saturday Night Live' Sketches From Season 41