If you share my disappointment with The Score, the recent heist movie that forced a gourmet cast, including Robert De Niro, Marlon Brando and Edward Norton, to subsist on a script of crumbs, sit down while writer-director David Mamet serves up a satisfying entree. Mamet, be it in Pulitzer Prize-winning plays (Glengarry Glen Ross) or acclaimed films (House of Games), crafts tangy, well-seasoned dialogue that a good cast can feast on. And this cast is prime. Gene Hackman, terrific as always, stars as Joe Moore, an aging thief being forced into one more job — a biggie involving Swiss gold bullion — by his longtime fence, Micky Bergman (Danny De Vito at his canniest). Micky insists that his twitchy nephew Jimmy Silk (Sam Rockwell) join Joe's team for the job.he setup is very similar to The Score, in which De Niro played the thief, Brando the fence and Norton the wild card. But Mamet gives the plot more twists than a bag of pretzels. And the fun comes in watching the vipers, including Delroy Lindo and Ricky Jay as Joe's accomplices, negotiate betrayals from inside while they're trying to outfox the cops. Joe dreams of a new life with his hot wife, Fran (Rebecca Pidgeon, the offscreen Mrs. Mamet, struggles with her femme fatale role), who discounts comments from leering males that Joe can't live forever. "Frank Sinatra gave it a shot," she says. Happy endings are a tricky business, but thanks to Mamet, this Heist delivers the kick of a job well done.
- Danny Devito, Gene Hackman, Sam Rockwell
- Directed by David Mamet
From The Archives Issue 881: November 8, 2001
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Famous Movies That Were Insane Parties Behind the Scenes
Guitar WorldTop 10 Best (and Worst) Comeback Albums of All Time
Screen Rant10 Decisions That Ruined Movies
Diffuser27 Rockers Who Died at Age 27
AskMenThe 40 Best Guy Movies Of All Time
Mental Floss33 Surprising Stories Behind Famous Songs
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Skulls, Satan and Dave Grohl: Inside Mysterious Occult-Rock Band Ghost
- Jimmy Fallon Plays Donald Trump, Gets Debate Advice From Obama
- Up in the Air: Meet the Man Who Flies Around the World for Free
- Jon Stewart Bids Farewell to Fox News: 'Adios, Motherf---ers'
- Are Rogue Militants Preparing for War on American Soil?
- 25 Best 'Daily Show' Correspondents
- Watch Lauryn Hill's Show-Stopping 'Feeling Good' on 'Tonight Show'