Give back that oscar. No sooner does Charlize Theron prove she can act by tubbing up and dressing down to play serial killer Aileen Wuornos in Monster than she dives back into diet, hair and makeup to portray glam party girl Gilda Besse in a World War II melodrama of epic silliness and supreme vapidity. Watching Theron strike sexy poses in Mario Davignon's period costumes while the script paints her into corners reminds you of all the pinup roles (Sweet November, Reindeer Games, The Legend of Bagger Vance) that damn near wrecked her career pre-Monster. Writer-director John Duigan (Flirting, Sirens) pretends to be interested in a spy plot that involves Gilda and the two people who moon over her (Guy (Stuart Townsend), a Dubliner with ideals, and Mia (Penelope Cruz), a stripper turned nursing student) both of whom leave Gilda in Paris while they go off to fight with the Republican army in Spain. This is not before Theron gets to do a topless tub scene with real-life love Townsend and a lesbo tango in leather with Cruz. Gilda beds them both (in one scene together) but this spark-free film has no place to go on their resumes except under the heading of Cringing Embarrassment.
Head in the Clouds
- Head in the Clouds
- Penelope Cruz, Thomas Kretschmann, Charlize Theron, Stuart Townsend, Daniel Gillies
- Directed by John Duigan
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked6 TV Spin-Off Story Lines That Ruined The Originals
Guitar WorldThe 20 Creepiest Album Covers of All Time
DiffuserRock Stars' Kids Who Rock
Mental Floss21 Things You Might Not Know About 'Dazed and Confused'
DiffuserThe 12 Most Shocking Crimes In Rock History
Cracked5 Cover Songs Better Than The Original
- The Endless Fall of Suge Knight
- Grateful Dead End 50-Year Career With Moving, Magnificent Final Show
- Van Halen Play Nice, Shred Hard at High-Energy Tour Opener
- Grateful Dead's Goodbye, Night Two: Chemistry Lost, Cash-Grabs Abound
- 'True Detective' Recap: The Buckshot Stops Here
- Paul McCartney Talks Nixed 'McCartney/Lennon' Songwriting Credit
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- What's Killing the Babies of Vernal, Utah?