Like a virgin's padded bra, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I is all tease, zero payoff. No investment banker left standing could fail to applaud the studio's initiative in halving the seventh and last book in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series to squeeze the goose for more gold. But a movie that plays like a 146-minute trailer for the actual final chapter — Part II opens next July in 3D! — is a definite cheat. For starters, there's no Hogwarts. Harry (Daniel Radcliffe), Ron (Rupert Grint) and Hermione (Emma Watson) spend this movie on the run. They're searching for the four Horcruxes that contain pieces of the evil soul of Lord Voldemort (Ralph Fiennes). That's all the plot you'll get from me. Luckily, there's a nifty animated piece inserted to explain the Deathly Hallows. In the film's sagging midsection, director David Yates and screenwriter Steve Kloves strand our teen love triangle in the woods, mooning over who is hot for whom. Yawn. There are compensations. Radcliffe and Watson share a sweet dance. And Grint, funny and touching, steals the show as jealous Ron. As for Dobby, rock on, Elf boy. Still, there's nowhere near enough of the scheming Severus Snape (Alan Rickman) and the Hitler Youth villainy of Draco Malfoy (Tom Felton). Part I is more disappointment than disaster. It merely rolls along like something off an assembly line. Untouched by human hands.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I
- Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint
- Directed by David Yates
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Famous Movies That Were Insane Parties Behind the Scenes
Guitar WorldTop 10 Best (and Worst) Comeback Albums of All Time
Diffuser27 Rockers Who Died at Age 27
Mental Floss33 Surprising Stories Behind Famous Songs
Screen Rant10 Decisions That Ruined Movies
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
- Watch Lauryn Hill's Show-Stopping 'Feeling Good' on 'Tonight Show'
- Jimmy Carter: U.S. Is an 'Oligarchy With Unlimited Political Bribery'
- Up in the Air: Meet the Man Who Flies Around the World for Free
- Eminem Reveals How Drug Use Led to Weight Gain, Recovery
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Foo Fighters Promise to Visit Italian Town After Viral Video
- 'True Detective' Recap: Burning Down the House
- Dr. Dre Details Long-Awaited 'Compton: A Soundtrack'