Like a virgin's padded bra, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I is all tease, zero payoff. No investment banker left standing could fail to applaud the studio's initiative in halving the seventh and last book in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series to squeeze the goose for more gold. But a movie that plays like a 146-minute trailer for the actual final chapter — Part II opens next July in 3D! — is a definite cheat. For starters, there's no Hogwarts. Harry (Daniel Radcliffe), Ron (Rupert Grint) and Hermione (Emma Watson) spend this movie on the run. They're searching for the four Horcruxes that contain pieces of the evil soul of Lord Voldemort (Ralph Fiennes). That's all the plot you'll get from me. Luckily, there's a nifty animated piece inserted to explain the Deathly Hallows. In the film's sagging midsection, director David Yates and screenwriter Steve Kloves strand our teen love triangle in the woods, mooning over who is hot for whom. Yawn. There are compensations. Radcliffe and Watson share a sweet dance. And Grint, funny and touching, steals the show as jealous Ron. As for Dobby, rock on, Elf boy. Still, there's nowhere near enough of the scheming Severus Snape (Alan Rickman) and the Hitler Youth villainy of Draco Malfoy (Tom Felton). Part I is more disappointment than disaster. It merely rolls along like something off an assembly line. Untouched by human hands.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I
- Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint
- Directed by David Yates
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
The Daily Beast20 Things You Didn’t Know About Pulp Fiction
SalonThe 13 Most Cringeworthy Sex Scenes in ‘Girls’
The Daily BeastInside New York’s Most Elite Sex Party
Salon10 Songs with Hidden Drug References
Men's Journal7 Reasons You Should Quit Facebook in 2015
- John Lennon's Ex-Wife Cynthia Dead at 75
- 15 Best Lines From Justin Bieber's Roast
- Bloodied Van Halen Play Wild, Reckless Set on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live'
- Avril Lavigne Was 'Bedridden' Following Battle With Lyme Disease
- 10 Things We Learned From Scientology Doc 'Going Clear'
- 5 Things We Learned From 'Walking Dead''s Season 5 Finale
- Rolling Stones Announce Summer Tour, 'Sticky Fingers' Reissue
- Watch Kendrick Lamar Celebrate Compton in 'King Kunta' Video