Rapping as 50 Cent, Curtis Jackson is a hip-hop king. But acting out a fictionalized, sanitized version of his life in Get Rich or Die Tryin', Jackson loses his throne. The emotions Eminem brought to 8 Mile are buried in Jackson's stubborn impassivity as Marcus, an orphan of the drug wars. The idea of Fiddy teaming up with Irish director Jim Sheridan (My Left Foot) was just nuts enough to pay off. Sheridan, working with a script by Sopranos house writer Terence Winter, connects with the family elements as young Marcus (Marc John Jefferies) uses rap to express himself. But when Jackson takes over, feelings go numb. The film is shockingly light on music and heavy on crime scenes that play as bogus. Considering that Jackson himself was shot nine times, you have to ask the question William Hurt raised in A History of Violence: "How did you fuck this up?"
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
- Get Rich or Die Tryin'
- Curtis '50 Cent' Jackson, Joy Bryant, Viola Davis, Terrence Dashon Howard, Rhyon Nicole Brown
- Directed by Jim Sheridan
From The Archives Issue 328: October 16, 1980
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
- Kanye West Unveils Provocative, Voyeuristic 'Famous' Video
- Barely Legal: 30 Nearly Pornographic Mainstream Films
- 100 Greatest Drummers of All Time
- Adele: Inside Her Private Life and Triumphant Return
- 5 Hilarious WTF Courtroom Moments
- Guns N' Roses Thrill in Detroit With Electric Reunion Tour Opener
- The Beatles Make History With 'All You Need Is Love': A Minute-by-Minute Breakdown
- 500 Greatest Songs of All Time