Rapping as 50 Cent, Curtis Jackson is a hip-hop king. But acting out a fictionalized, sanitized version of his life in Get Rich or Die Tryin', Jackson loses his throne. The emotions Eminem brought to 8 Mile are buried in Jackson's stubborn impassivity as Marcus, an orphan of the drug wars. The idea of Fiddy teaming up with Irish director Jim Sheridan (My Left Foot) was just nuts enough to pay off. Sheridan, working with a script by Sopranos house writer Terence Winter, connects with the family elements as young Marcus (Marc John Jefferies) uses rap to express himself. But when Jackson takes over, feelings go numb. The film is shockingly light on music and heavy on crime scenes that play as bogus. Considering that Jackson himself was shot nine times, you have to ask the question William Hurt raised in A History of Violence: "How did you fuck this up?"
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
- Get Rich or Die Tryin'
- Curtis '50 Cent' Jackson, Joy Bryant, Viola Davis, Terrence Dashon Howard, Rhyon Nicole Brown
- Directed by Jim Sheridan
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
SalonSecrets Of The Female Pickup Artist
Cinema Blend10 Big Things We Learned On The Set Of Amy Schumer's Trainwreck
Salon8 Game of Thrones Stars You Didn’t Know Had Music Careers
Cracked5 Things That Secretly Affect Who You Want to Have Sex With
- Watch Metallica Perform the National Anthem at San Francisco Giants Game
- See Grateful Dead Jam on 'Sugaree' in 1989 Unreleased Video
- Preview the David Letterman Primetime Farewell Special
- Mayweather Defeats Pacquiao, KOs Pay-Per-View Providers
- Scarlett Johansson on 'SNL': 3 Sketches You Have to See
- Roger Waters Slams Silicon Valley's 'Rogues and Thieves'
- Give 'Em Hell, Bernie
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao: Love the Fight, Not the Fighters