Just because a movie is freakin' preposterous doesn't mean it can't be diabolical fun. Case in point: Fracture, a twist-a-minute thriller with Anthony Hopkins as an attempted wife murderer getting ready to eat assistant district attorney Willy Beachum (Ryan Gosling) for breakfast, even without fava beans and a nice chianti. Hopkins' Ted Crawford, an aeronautical engineer with a specialty in detecting the tiniest system defects, thinks he sees a fracture in the armor worn by Willy, a prosecutor about to dump the office of the district attorney (a superb David Strathairn) for the greener pastures of corporate law. Does that mean that Ted can outsmart slick Willy and get away with putting a bullet in the head of his cheating wife (Embeth Davidtz) and framing her married cop lover (Billy Burke)? I'll never tell. That grinding noise you hear is the script shifting gears. But director Gregory Hoblit, back in Primal Fear form after a detour at Hart's War, constructs a beautifully intricate cat-and-mouse game. Hopkins and Gosling, the indie prince fresh from a surprise Oscar nomination for Half Nelson, go at each other with relish. They're slumming in this Hollywood hoo-ha, but you can tell they're loving it.
- Anthony Hopkins, Ryan Gosling, David Strathairn, Billy Burke, Rosamund Pike
- Directed by Gregory Hoblit
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Mental FlossHow 12 Famous Rappers Picked Their Names
Cinema Blend10 Great Shows That Went Way Downhill
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
Salon10 Famous Geniuses And Their Drugs Of Choice
Cracked5 Things That Secretly Affect Who You Want to Have Sex With
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies Of The Past Year
- 'The Dance' at 25: How Garth Brooks' Weeper Became an Unlikely Hit
- 'The Voice' Top Six Recap: Unexpected Songs Steal the Show
- 9 Things We Learned From the Kurt Cobain Doc 'Montage of Heck'
- Eric Clapton Celebrates 70th Birthday With All-Star New York Show
- Noel Gallagher Sounds Off on Tidal, Zayn Malik and Same-Sex Marriage
- Watch John Oliver Explore Insanity of Standardized Testing
- Watch Jimmy Fallon, Jack Black Remake Extreme's 'More Than Words' Video
- West Memphis Three's Damien Echols: 'Today Was My Original Execution Date'