Are human actors really necessary? Couldn't computers do the job better? Don't rag on me. These are serious questions. So far this summer, acting is nearly nonexistent. You saw The Fast and the Furious. In retaliation comes Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, a sci-fi flick (loosely based on the PlayStation game series) that replaces humans with computer-generated images (CGIs). Eyeball that babe in the photo on this page — she's not real, she's virtual. Director Hironobu Sakaguchi, who created the games, uses actors only for their voices. So when you see the curvaceous Dr. Aki Ross (voiced by Ming-Na) trying to save our decimated planet from invading phantoms, you're seeing the handiwork of a computer, not of Mother Nature. Ever since Sony Pictures previewed Final Fantasy, online critics have been predicting doom. But the film exerts a hold. The crux is: for how long? At first it's fun to watch the characters, including a hero (Alec Baldwin), a villain (James Woods) and a feisty doctor (Donald Sutherland), hopping around inside a dome that encloses what's left of Manhattan. But then you notice a coldness in the eyes, a mechanical quality in the movements. Familiar voices emerging from the mouths of replicants erect a distance. The dark backgrounds leave you with the deadening feeling you get after too many hours of playing cybergames. You miss something. It could be the joystick, the interaction. More likely, it's the human touch from those pesky actors.
- Final Fantasy
- Alec Baldwin, Steve Buscemi
- Directed by Hironobu Sakaguchi, Motonori Sakakibara
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
The Daily Beast20 Things You Didn’t Know About Pulp Fiction
SalonThe 13 Most Cringeworthy Sex Scenes in ‘Girls’
The Daily BeastInside New York’s Most Elite Sex Party
Salon10 Songs with Hidden Drug References
Men's Journal7 Reasons You Should Quit Facebook in 2015
- 15 Best Lines From Justin Bieber's Roast
- Bloodied Van Halen Play Wild, Reckless Set on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live'
- Hear Leonard Cohen Cover George Jones' 'Choices' at a Stunning Soundcheck
- 10 Things We Learned From Scientology Doc 'Going Clear'
- Rolling Stones Announce Summer Tour, 'Sticky Fingers' Reissue
- 5 Things We Learned From 'Walking Dead''s Season 5 Finale
- 'WWE Raw': Brock Lesnar vs. the World
- Joni Mitchell Hospitalized in Los Angeles