Why does Hollywood keep screwing up the iconic work of Dr. Seuss? After the wretched film versions of How the Grinch Stole Christmas, The Cat in the Hat, and Horton Hears a Who, Dr. Seuss takes another one in the gut. This 3D, animated, idiotically musicalized version of The Lorax thoroughly debases the genius of the good doctor's book, adding characters, twisting plot points, and replacing Seuss subtlety with Hollywood frenzy. Everything organic in Seuss' 1971 illustrated book looks pasted on. The setting is still the polluted town of Thneedville, where trees don't grow and fresh air is sold in jars. The conflict between the tree-hugging Lorax (voiced by Danny De Vito) and the Once-ler (Ed Helms), who sold out the environment for a quick buck, has been sidetracked by the strained efforts of young Ted (Zac Efron) to win the heart of pretty Audrey (Taylor Swift) by finding her a real tree. Yikes! Chris Renaud and Kyle Balda direct strictly for short-attention spans on a fruit-loopy palette that made me want to puke. Had Dr. Seuss lived (he died in 1991), I'm confident he would have puked as well.
Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax
- Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax
- Voices of Zac Efron, Taylor Swift, Danny DeVito
- Directed by Chris Renaud and Kyle Balda
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cinema BlendThe 5 Greatest Comedies of All-Time According to Chris Rock
Bleacher ReportWhat It's Like to Be in Mayweather's Entourage
Men's JournalDo Men Suck at Friendship?
Men's Journal10 Ways to Maximize Pleasure During Sex
Cracked4 Lead Singers That Sound Shockingly Bad Without the Band
Cinema BlendTop 10 Steamiest Sex Scenes
- 11 Things We Learned From Bruce Jenner's Coming Out Interview
- Jared Leto Debuts Ghoulish 'Suicide Squad' Version of the Joker
- Watch Terry Crews Punch Out Mike Tyson on 'Lip Sync Battle'
- 'Super Troopers 2' Officially a Go After Crowdfunding $4.4 Million
- The Secret Life of Transgender Rocker Tom Gabel
- Waka Flocka Flame for President: Watch His Exclusive Campaign Video
- Watch Neil deGrasse Tyson, Jon Stewart Debate Superman vs. Batman
- Navajo Actress Explains Why She Left Adam Sandler 'Ridiculous 6' Set