Why does Hollywood keep screwing up the iconic work of Dr. Seuss? After the wretched film versions of How the Grinch Stole Christmas, The Cat in the Hat, and Horton Hears a Who, Dr. Seuss takes another one in the gut. This 3D, animated, idiotically musicalized version of The Lorax thoroughly debases the genius of the good doctor's book, adding characters, twisting plot points, and replacing Seuss subtlety with Hollywood frenzy. Everything organic in Seuss' 1971 illustrated book looks pasted on. The setting is still the polluted town of Thneedville, where trees don't grow and fresh air is sold in jars. The conflict between the tree-hugging Lorax (voiced by Danny De Vito) and the Once-ler (Ed Helms), who sold out the environment for a quick buck, has been sidetracked by the strained efforts of young Ted (Zac Efron) to win the heart of pretty Audrey (Taylor Swift) by finding her a real tree. Yikes! Chris Renaud and Kyle Balda direct strictly for short-attention spans on a fruit-loopy palette that made me want to puke. Had Dr. Seuss lived (he died in 1991), I'm confident he would have puked as well.
Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax
- Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax
- Voices of Zac Efron, Taylor Swift, Danny DeVito
- Directed by Chris Renaud and Kyle Balda
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
DiffuserThe 10 Nastiest Feuds In Alternative Music
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
Guitar WorldThe Beatles' 10 Greatest Guitar Moments
SalonThe 20 Most Underrated Albums Of All Time
Mental Floss11 Famous Actors Who Apologized for Their Own Movies
TestTubeHow Long Should Sex Last?
- Rupert Murdoch Is Deviant Scum
- 5 Reasons Why Neil Young's Current Tour Is One of His Best in Decades
- 10 Things We Learned From Elvis Costello's Brilliant New Memoir
- The Billion View Club: YouTube's 10 Most Watched Videos
- Inside the Koch Brothers' Toxic Empire
- Hear Pharrell's Sultry Remix of A Tribe Called Quest's 'Bonita Applebum'
- 50 Greatest Hair Metal Albums of All Time
- Inside Motley Crue's Live Excess: From Roller Coaster Drums to Fire-Spitting Bass