I hated How The Grinch Stole Christmas, which was a smash for Jim Carrey. Cat, another over-blown Hollywood raid on Dr. Seuss, has a draw in Mike Myers, who inexplicably plays the Cat by mimicking Bert Lahr as the Cowardly Lion in The Wizard of Oz. It all smacks of exhausted inspiration. Dr. Seuss' slim volume (barely 1,600 words) is about a cat who teaches two bored kids (Dakota Fanning and Spencer Breslin) to have fun by looking inside themselves. The film bloats it with frenzied action, vulgar jokes and padded roles for Mom (Kelly Preston), her boss (Sean Hayes) and her smarmy boyfriend (Alec Baldwin). Talk about your quick-buck exploitation.
Dr. Seuss' The Cat in the Hat
- Dr. Seuss' The Cat in the Hat
- Alec Baldwin, Mike Meyers
- Directed by Bo Welch
From The Archives Issue 244: July 28, 1977
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
Guitar WorldThe 13 Creepiest Album Covers of All Time
Diffuser10 Cover Songs Better Than The Originals
Guitar WorldThe 10 Best Stage Names of All Time
SalonThe 7 Most Offensive TV Shows Of All Time
Men's Journal9 Traits That Attract Women
- Watch Bruce Springsteen's Surprise Performance With U2
- Hear Drake Demolish Meek Mill on 'Back to Back' Freestyle
- Up in the Air: Meet the Man Who Flies Around the World for Free
- Watch Lauryn Hill's Show-Stopping 'Feeling Good' on 'Tonight Show'
- Derek Zoolander Can't Grasp Movie Title in Hilarious 'Zoolander 2' Teaser
- Tom Brady: Sympathy for the Devil
- Meek Mill Fires Back at Drake With 'Wanna Know'
- Watch Paul McCartney Perform 'Get Back' With Alabama Shakes' Brittany Howard