With the great Guillermo del Toro as producer and co-writer, this haunted-house thriller at least makes a claim on artistry. But Pan's Labyrinth it isn't. Blackwood Mansion, where creatures lurk in the basement, doesn't scare nine-year-old Sally (Bailee Madison) at first. She's more focused on being cut off from her architect daddy (Guy Pearce) by his trophy girlfriend (Katie Holmes). Director Troy Nixey lets the atmosphere of the house seep in like rot. And the fact that the whispering creatures feed on human teeth is the ultimate Tooth Fairy nightmare. Yet the film never takes hold emotionally, despite strong work from Holmes and young Madison. With Del Toro's name in the credits, standard chills aren't enough. We want imagination to run riot.
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark
- Don't Be Afraid of the Dark
- Katie Holmes, Guy Pearce
- Directed by Troy Nixey
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal37 Things About Sex You Need to Know
Cinema BlendThe 5 Greatest Comedies Of All-Time According To Chris Rock
The Daily Beast7 Movies That Do BDSM Better Than ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’
Cinema Blend10 Great Movies To Watch Before Netflix Gets Rid Of Them On April 1
Salon10 Movie Stars Who Want to Be Rock Stars and Are Surprisingly Good
Men's JournalThe 101 Best Beers in America
- The Children of ISIS
- The Neverending Nightmare of Amanda Knox
- The Rock on 'SNL': 3 Sketches You Have to See
- Hear Brad Paisley 'Crush It' on Eric Clapton's 'Layla'
- Killer Mike: Rap Lyrics Being Manipulated in Court to Land Convictions
- 'Clear' and Present Danger: Alex Gibney on His Bold Scientology Doc
- Watch George Ezra Bring the Folk to 'SNL'
- Inside the Koch Brothers' Toxic Empire