Algeria's pick in the Oscar race forest Foreign-Language film is a wounding indictment of discrimination in the trenches.ndigenes (the French title, meaning "Natives") is set during the lastears of World War II. Equality and fraternity fell by the wayside when it came o the North African soldiers who joined France in fighting the Nazis through Italynd Provence. These Algerian Arabs were merely straw dogs to their bigoted Frenchuperiors. Director and co-writer Rachid Bouchareb, born in Paris to Algerian immigrants,nows these racial tensions are still simmering. And in this wallop of a war moviee makes you feel the heat. The superb cast, including Sami Bouajila, Jamel Debbouze, Roschdy Zem, Samy Naceri and Bernard Blancan, who plays their sergeant, shared theest Actor prize in Cannes. The tribute is apt and inspiring. And there's morecing on the cake. Bouchareb's film helped shame the French government into aising pensions for more than 80,000 of these veterans. Here's that rare moviehat really did change things. I'll be damned.
Days of Glory (Indigenes)
- Days of Glory (Indigenes)
- Bernard Blancan, Sami Bouajila, Jamel Debbouze, Aurelie Eltvedt, Benoit Giros
- Directed by Rachid Bouchareb
From The Archives Issue 116: August 31, 1972
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
SalonThe 19 Greatest Double Entendre Songs
VultureAll 169 Seinfeld Episodes, Ranked from Worst to Best
Guitar WorldThe 20 Best Rock Guitar Intros of All Time
DiffuserMusicians We've Already Lost in 2016
Mental Floss24 Things You Didn't Know About 'Goodfellas'
Cracked7 Insane Things TV Shows Did When They Ran Out Of Money
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Super Bowl Halftime Shows Ranked: From Worst to Best
- Watch Lady Gaga Sing Stirring National Anthem at Super Bowl 50
- The Vampire Squid Tells Us How to Vote
- 100 Greatest Guitarists
- Larry David on 'SNL': 3 Sketches You Have to See
- Watch Coldplay, Beyonce's Colorful 'Hymn for the Weekend' Video
- See Larry David's 'Bern Your Enthusiasm' 'SNL' Parody