If looks were all it took to thrill, this opulent, near-operatic historical pageant would rank with Zhang Yimou's last two epics, Hero and House of Flying Daggers. But Golden Flower is cursed with being too much of a good thing, with Gong Li's cleavage. Cast as a tenth-century Chinese empress, this mesmerizer of an actress bites into her role like a juicy apple. The great Chow Yun Fat is her match as the emperor who deals with the problems in their marriage — such as her affair with her stepson, the crown prince (Liu Ye) — by trying to poison her. And that's just for ters. No wonder the empress is driven mad. You'll go nuts too if you try to unravel the plot strands or interpret the film through the personal relationship between Gong Li and her director that ended in 1995. The pleasures are mostly visual, from the texture of a gold fabric to the bloody battles that didn't need to be so amped with computer effects.The final effect is stunning, but also sadly impersonal.
Curse of the Golden Flower
- Curse of the Golden Flower
- Jay Chou, Chow Yun-Fat, Li Gong, Qin Junjie, Man Li
- Directed by Yimou Zhang
From The Archives Issue 280: December 14, 1978
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
SpinThe 50 Best Rock Bands Right Now
Mental FlossWhere Are 10 Key Players in The O.J. Simpson Trial Now?
Diffuser27 of the Most Offensive Band Names Ever
Cracked5 Famous People Who Lost Everything (For Stupid Reasons)
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Rick Rubin: My Life in 21 Songs
- The Koch Brothers' Dirty War on Solar Power
- Inside the Replacements' Disastrous 'Saturday Night Live' Debut
- 'Silence of the Lambs' at 25: 'It Broke All the Rules'
- Kanye West Drops Non-'Pablo' Song '30 Hours,' Adds to Album Track List
- Watch Henry Rollins Recall Terrifying Acid Trip Nightmare
- 15 Great Grammy Tribute Performances