It's not just the 3-D glasses that add an extra dimension to the horror and hilarity of Coraline. For those who can't see themselves forking over hard cash to stare at a cartoon about an 11-year-old brat (Dakota Fanning voices Coraline) whose neglectful parents (Teri Hatcher, John Hodgman) move her to a remote part of Oregon, let me say this: Director Henry Selick, the magic man behind The Nightmare Before Christmas, did the dazzling stop-motion animation. Neil Gaiman (Sandman), a rock star among graphic novelists, wrote the story. And if that doesn't grab you, think of what Japanese anime genius Hayao Miyazaki did with another little-girl story in the Oscar-winning Spirited Away. Coraline isn't in that class, but Selick and Gaiman will take you — and Coraline — for a certified wild ride. Secret doors lead to an alternative universe where parents and toys only seem to be better versions. Like Alice, Coraline discovers a Wonderland filled with surreal characters and dark implications that make a kid grow up quick. OK, sensitive tykes may be scared shitless. But those who tough it out with this twisted, trippy adventure in impure imagination will only be the better for it.
- Dakota Fanning, Teri Hatcher, Dawn French, Jennifer Saunders, Keith David
- Directed by Henry Selick, Mike Cachuela
From The Archives Issue 126: January 18, 1973
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
Guitar WorldThe 13 Creepiest Album Covers of All Time
Diffuser10 Cover Songs Better Than The Originals
Guitar WorldThe 10 Best Stage Names of All Time
SalonThe 7 Most Offensive TV Shows Of All Time
Men's Journal9 Traits That Attract Women
- Watch Bruce Springsteen's Surprise Performance With U2
- Derek Zoolander Can't Grasp Movie Title in Hilarious 'Zoolander 2' Teaser
- Up in the Air: Meet the Man Who Flies Around the World for Free
- Hear Drake Demolish Meek Mill on 'Back to Back' Freestyle
- Watch Lauryn Hill's Show-Stopping 'Feeling Good' on 'Tonight Show'
- Tom Brady: Sympathy for the Devil
- Meek Mill Fires Back at Drake With 'Wanna Know'
- Eminem Reveals How Drug Use Led to Weight Gain, Recovery