Do we really need another vampire movie? Well, this one is based on a popular tweener series of a dozen books by British writer Darren Shan. Director and co-writer Paul Weitz claims he loves the series, and Weitz's credits — he and his brother Chris Weitz gave us American Pie and About a Boy — got my attention. But the mess onscreen does no one any favors. The Cirque du Freak itself has flavor with sexy Salma Hayek as the bearded lady, 30 Rock's Jane Krakowski as a limb regenerator and especially stage actor supreme Michael Cerveris (Tommy, Sweeney Todd), swathed in foam rubber as the fatso villain, Mr. Tiny. Newcomer Chris Massoglia plays Darren, the blind teen who gets involved with the freaks (it's not that I can't tell you how, I just don't want to). But Darren does get bitten by redheaded vampire Larten Crepsley (John C. Reilly, giving the film the few laughs it has). Actually, Darren is only halfbitten. Hell, I'm not explaining that, either. All you need to know is that the movie is a setup for sequels that I hope never come. Jammed with story threads that don't cohere, Cirque commits the cardinal sin for a vampire movie: It's bloodless.
Cirque Du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant
- Cirque Du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant
- John C. Riley, Salma Hayek, Michael Ceveris
- Directed by Paul Weitz
From The Archives Issue 136: June 7, 1973
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Real People Screwed By 'True-Story' Movies Based On Them
Diffuser27 Rockers Who Died At Age 27
VultureEvery American Idol Finalist, Ranked From Worst to Best
Salon10 Insane Climax Tips
Mental Floss11 Actors Who Asked For Their Characters To Be Killed Off
Cracked6 On-Set Arguments That Almost Derailed Classic Films
- Prince in the Nineties: An Oral History
- Gwen Stefani Enlists George Clooney, Julia Roberts for 'Carpool Karaoke'
- Hear Justin Timberlake's Sunny New Song 'Can't Stop the Feeling'
- ‘Captain America: Civil War’: Why Chris Evans Is the Anxious Avenger
- See System of a Down's Serj Tankian Perform New Political Song 'Artsakh'
- A Final Visit With Prince: Rolling Stone's Lost Cover Story
- Axl Rose on AC/DC Gig: 'I'm Just Trying to Do it Justice for the Fans'
- Arsenio Hall Sues Sinead O'Connor for $5 Million