Chocolat is a sinfully scrumptious bonbon about a nomadic single mom, Vianne (the delectable Juliette Binoche), who sweeps into a stubbornly quaint French village with her daughter, Anouk (Victoire Thivisol), and opens a chocolate shop. The time is the 1950s, and the tight-assed mayor, the Comte de Reynaud (Alfred Molina, a subtly fragile villain), doesn't cotton to this candy femme tantalizing his villagers, during Lent yet. Director Lasse Hallstrom and screenwriter Robert Nelson Jacobs, working from Joanne Harris' 1999 novel, assault intolerance with the liberating lure of chocolate. Quick to bite are Armande (Judi Dench), an aging rebel estranged from her daughter (Carrie-Anne Moss), and Josephine (Lena Olin), the klepto wife of an abusive husband (Peter Stormare). Dame Judi hams it up royally, while Olin, Mrs. Hallstrom offscreen, deepens the film with a performance of raw emotion. A charming Johnny Depp drops in as Roux, an Irish gypsy who tempts Vianne. Chocolat may be slight, but don't discount Hallstrom's artful finesse (you won't find a touch of Grinch-like crassness) or Miramax's skill at tempting Oscar (the indie studio snagged seven nominations for Hallstrom's late-1999 release, The Cider House Rules). Except for some indigestible whimsy — Anouk talks to a fantasy kangaroo named Pantoufle — Chocolat is yummy.
- Juliette Binoche, Johnny Depp
- Directed by Claire Denis
From The Archives Issue 278: November 16, 1978
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Famous Movies That Were Insane Parties Behind the Scenes
Guitar WorldTop 10 Best (and Worst) Comeback Albums of All Time
Diffuser27 Rockers Who Died at Age 27
Mental Floss33 Surprising Stories Behind Famous Songs
Screen Rant10 Decisions That Ruined Movies
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
- Watch Lauryn Hill's Show-Stopping 'Feeling Good' on 'Tonight Show'
- Up in the Air: Meet the Man Who Flies Around the World for Free
- Jimmy Carter: U.S. Is an 'Oligarchy With Unlimited Political Bribery'
- Foo Fighters Promise to Visit Italian Town After Viral Video
- Eminem Reveals How Drug Use Led to Weight Gain, Recovery
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Dr. Dre Details Long-Awaited 'Compton: A Soundtrack'
- 'True Detective' Recap: Burning Down the House