The buzz from smartass central is that Kevin Spacey, 45, will fall on his Oscar-winning butt as Bobby Darin, the brash, finger-snapping "Mack the Knife" singer whose heart condition killed him in 1973 at age thirty-seven. Spacey can now step up for the last laugh. A plot device that has Darin looking back on his life as a Bronx street kid, of records, nightclubs and films, and husband to troubled teen idol Sandra Dee (a sweetly affecting Kate Bosworth), allows Spacey to do the the role without a digital makeover.s director, Spacey can't stop the movie from groaning under the weight of biopic clichs. But the actor forges a bond with his subject that rights all wrongs. Doing his own singing (an uncanny imitation), Spacey is a marvel. He turns acting into riveting reincarnation and redoubles our appreciation of Darin, an underrated performer who used music to cheat death. Beyond the Sea, a tribute to both their talents, is one from the heart.
Beyond the Sea
- Beyond the Sea
- Kevin Spacey, Kate Bosworth, John Goodman, Bob Hoskins, Vanessa Redgrave
- Directed by Kevin Spacey
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked6 TV Spin-Off Story Lines That Ruined The Originals
Guitar WorldThe 20 Creepiest Album Covers of All Time
DiffuserRock Stars' Kids Who Rock
Mental Floss21 Things You Might Not Know About 'Dazed and Confused'
DiffuserThe 12 Most Shocking Crimes In Rock History
Cracked5 Cover Songs Better Than The Original
- The Endless Fall of Suge Knight
- Grateful Dead End 50-Year Career With Moving, Magnificent Final Show
- Van Halen Play Nice, Shred Hard at High-Energy Tour Opener
- Obama Is on a Roll, But Is His Presidency?
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Grateful Dead's Goodbye, Night Two: Chemistry Lost, Cash-Grabs Abound
- 'It's Come Back to Haunt Them': Flag Historian on the Confederate Flag
- The Grateful Dead Say Farewell: The View From the Bowl