The buzz from smartass central is that Kevin Spacey, 45, will fall on his Oscar-winning butt as Bobby Darin, the brash, finger-snapping "Mack the Knife" singer whose heart condition killed him in 1973 at age thirty-seven. Spacey can now step up for the last laugh. A plot device that has Darin looking back on his life as a Bronx street kid, of records, nightclubs and films, and husband to troubled teen idol Sandra Dee (a sweetly affecting Kate Bosworth), allows Spacey to do the the role without a digital makeover.s director, Spacey can't stop the movie from groaning under the weight of biopic clichs. But the actor forges a bond with his subject that rights all wrongs. Doing his own singing (an uncanny imitation), Spacey is a marvel. He turns acting into riveting reincarnation and redoubles our appreciation of Darin, an underrated performer who used music to cheat death. Beyond the Sea, a tribute to both their talents, is one from the heart.
Beyond the Sea
- Beyond the Sea
- Kevin Spacey, Kate Bosworth, John Goodman, Bob Hoskins, Vanessa Redgrave
- Directed by Kevin Spacey
From The Archives Issue 266: June 1, 1978
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
- John Oliver on Brexit Fallout: 'United Kingdom' Now Sounds 'Sarcastic'
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Recap: Winter Is Here
- 'Saturday Night Live': All 141 Cast Members Ranked
- See Beyonce, Kendrick Lamar Baptize BET Awards With 'Freedom'
- 500 Greatest Songs of All Time
- 14 Classic Albums That Flopped When They Were Released
- Barely Legal: 30 Nearly Pornographic Mainstream Films
- Kanye West Unveils Provocative, Voyeuristic 'Famous' Video