What the hell happened? John Travolta was a live wire as Chili Palmer in Get Shorty, the hit 1995 film version of Elmore Leonard's novel about a Miami loan shark who links up with sharks of the Hollywood variety and fits right in. In Be Cool, based on Leonard's novel about Chili making moves on the music industry, Travolta looks zombified, as if all the comic energy had seeped out of his performance. He's not alone. Uma Thurman plays Edie, Chili's partner in a deal to produce a CD for a new singer (a wasted Christina Milian), and it's dispiriting to watch her and Travolta struggle vainly to reproduce their Pulp Fiction heat on the dance floor. The toothless satire in the script by Peter Steinfeld strands good actors, including Harvey Keitel, James Woods and Cedric the Entertainer. Vince Vaughn gets a few laughs as Raji, a walking sight gag as a bling-covered white dude aching to be black. But the Rock, as a gay bodyguard with acting ambitions, quickly wears out his queer-eyebrow routine. As for director F. Gary Gray, in for inspired Get Shorty director Barry Sonnenfeld, the only knack he shows is for turning Leonard's authentic take on the music world into synthetic pap. You know a sequel isn't working when, ten minutes into the movie, a voice inside your head ts screaming, "Please make it stop!"
- Be Cool
- Danny DeVito, John Travolta, Uma Thurman, Cedric The Entertainer, Christina Milian
- Directed by F. Gary Gray
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Things That Secretly Affect Who You Want to Have Sex With
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies Of The Past Year
Cracked4 Lead Singers That Sound Shockingly Bad Without the Band
Cinema Blend15 Incredible Facts You Didn't Know About Back To The Future
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
- Being Ringo: A Beatle's All-Starr Life
- Hear Slayer's Eerie New Crusher 'When the Stillness Comes'
- Black Sabbath's Bill Ward: 'I Don't Know If I'm a Member'
- The Dukes of Oxy: How a Band of Teen Wrestlers Built a Smuggling Empire
- Campaign 2016: Hillary Clinton's Fake Populism Is a Hit
- Tim McGraw's Sandy Hook Show Sparks Controversy, Billy Currington Bails
- Dave Grohl on First Foo Fighters Show: 'I Was F--king Mortified'
- Bill Withers: The Soul Man Who Walked Away