Sarah Polley, a canadian actress best known for The Sweet Hereafter and the remake of Dawn of the Dead, is twenty-eight. I mention her age because Polley makes a miraculous debut as director and screenwriter of Away From Her by telling the story of a fifty-year marriage attacked by an unseen enemy: memory loss. Fiona (the luminous, legendary Julie Christie) starts fading with small things, like putting a frying pan in the fridge. But when she forgets her way home, Fiona and her husband, Grant (the excellent Gordon Pinsent), decide on the Meadowlake nursing home. In adapting Alice Munro's short story "The Bear Came Over the Mountain," Polley avoids any trace of TV-movie glibness or sentiment. As Fiona grows close to Aubrey (Michael Murphy), a wheelchair-bound patient who barely speaks, and Grant takes comfort with Aubrey's hard-edged wife, Marian (Olympia Dukakis), Polley paints a devastating portrait of what gets lost in relationships even without the presence of Alzheimer's disease. All the acting is first-rate — Dukakis gives major dimensions to a supporting role. And Christie, a Sixties screen goddess in Darling and Doctor Zhivago, shows that her spirit and grace are eternal. She's a beauty. So is the movie.
Away From Her
- Away From Her
- Julie Christie, Gordon Pinset, Michael Murphy, Olympia Dukakis, Kristen Thomson
- Directed by Sarah Polley
From The Archives Issue 310: February 7, 1980
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Famous Movies That Were Insane Parties Behind the Scenes
Guitar WorldTop 10 Best (and Worst) Comeback Albums of All Time
Screen Rant10 Decisions That Ruined Movies
Diffuser27 Rockers Who Died at Age 27
AskMenThe 40 Best Guy Movies Of All Time
Mental Floss33 Surprising Stories Behind Famous Songs
- Skulls, Satan and Dave Grohl: Inside Mysterious Occult-Rock Band Ghost
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Jon Stewart Bids Farewell to Fox News: 'Adios, Motherf---ers'
- Jimmy Fallon Plays Donald Trump, Gets Debate Advice From Obama
- Up in the Air: Meet the Man Who Flies Around the World for Free
- Are Rogue Militants Preparing for War on American Soil?
- 25 Best 'Daily Show' Correspondents
- Jimmy Page on 'Coda,' Led Zep's Indian Sojourn and His Next Big Project