Back in 1997, no one was prepared for how deftly comic and dazzling Mike Myers would be as Austin, the swinging, time-traveling Sixties superspy, and as his hair-deprived archrival, Dr. Evil. Now the relentless renting of the first Powers flick has made Austin-and Evil cultists of us all. Fans react to Dr. Evil's cat, Mr. Bigglesworth (the sphinx's real name is Ted Nudegent), with the same fervor that Star Wars freaks reserve for Chewbacca. We are sooo ready for this sequel, in which Austin — in the first film he was defrosted into the Nineties zaps back to the Sixties and meets hottie Heather Graham, as Felicity Shagwell ("Shagwell by name, shag very well by reputation"). Yeah, baby, yeah! Kristen Johnston, of TV's 3rd Rock From the Sun, plays the Russian spy Ivana Humpalot, and Rob Lowe fills in for Robert Wagner as the young Number Two. Give me a frickin' break if you're not hooked. In the season's best trailer, Dr. Evil sits in a spaceship with Mr. Bigglesworth while a voice intones, "If you see only one movie this summer, see Star Wars. But if you see two movies, see Austin Powers." Verdict: Audiences act accordingly. Myers gets the reviews of his life, and the box-office — maybe $200 million.
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
- Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
- Woody Harrelson
- Directed by Jay Roach
From The Archives Issue 305: November 29, 1979
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Real People Screwed By 'True-Story' Movies Based On Them
Diffuser27 Rockers Who Died At Age 27
VultureEvery American Idol Finalist, Ranked From Worst to Best
Salon10 Insane Climax Tips
Mental Floss11 Actors Who Asked For Their Characters To Be Killed Off
Cracked6 On-Set Arguments That Almost Derailed Classic Films
- Prince in the Nineties: An Oral History
- Gwen Stefani Enlists George Clooney, Julia Roberts for 'Carpool Karaoke'
- Hear Justin Timberlake's Sunny New Song 'Can't Stop the Feeling'
- ‘Captain America: Civil War’: Why Chris Evans Is the Anxious Avenger
- A Final Visit With Prince: Rolling Stone's Lost Cover Story
- Arsenio Hall Sues Sinead O'Connor for $5 Million
- 10 Songs You Didn't Know Ed Sheeran Wrote
- Why America Can't Quit the Drug War