It might take a bit to adjust to wild Irish boyo Colin Farrell playing Bobby Morrow, a twentysomething virgin who moves from Cleveland to New York to live with his gay friend Jonathan (newcomer Dallas Roberts is a genuine find) and Clare (a vivid Robin Wright Penn), the wiggy bohemian hatmaker Jonathan is shacked up with.ut adjust you will, since Farrell's astutely judged portrayal — he finds the crucial streak of manipulation in Bobby's sweetness — is a career highlight. Stage director Michael Mayer (Side Man) makes a striking debut in film, and his skill with the actors is often breathtaking. Sissy Spacek triumphs in the supporting role of Jonathan's uburban mother. In a childhood flashback, she discovers the boys smoking grass and listening to Laura Nyro's lush "Desiree" and joins them as if discovering a new world. Spacek's revelatory performance (hello, Oscar) is typical of the film's eye for detail as Bobby, Jonathan and Clare make up their own definition of family. In adapting his 19TK novel to the screen, Michael Cunningham (The Hours) must condense a story that moves from 1967 to the 1980s AIDS era into a sometimes rushed ninety minutes. But how many movies these days leave you wanting more? The funny and heartfelt Home is a small treasure.
A Home at the End of the World
- A Home at the End of the World
- Colin Farrell, Robin Wright Penn, Dallas Roberts, Sissy Spacek, Matt Frewer
- Directed by Michael Mayer
From The Archives Issue 258: February 9, 1978
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
SpinThe 300 Best Albums Of The Past 30 Years
Mental Floss10 Hidden Images on Album Covers
SalonThe Top 10 Oral Sex Scenes
VultureThe 30 Most Important Sex Scenes In Movie History
Guitar WorldThe 25 Greatest Acoustic Songs In Hard Rock
Vibe#DumpTrump: 20 Celebrities Who Have Spoken Out Against Donald Trump
- How Beatles' Game-Changing 'Paperback Writer' Paved Way for 'Revolver'
- The Curse of the Ramones
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Questlove Pens List Explaining Why Prince Was 'Hip-Hop Pioneer'
- Watch Bruce Springsteen, Bono Perform 'Because the Night' in Dublin
- 500 Greatest Songs of All Time
- Barely Legal: 30 Nearly Pornographic Mainstream Films
- 'Game of Thrones' Recap: Get Back