Will Forte Says 'MacGruber 2' Is Coming

Star of 'MacGyver' spoof could reunite with original cast

Will Forte
Dominique Charriau/WireImage
Will Forte
By |

After dropping hints earlier this year, Will Forte confirmed to Rolling Stone that he will soon begin writing a sequel to the highly quotable MacGruber.

The former Saturday Night Live cast member, now residing back in his native California, also said there have been discussions with the original cast, including Kristen Wiig and Ryan Phillippe, about returning for the follow-up.

Will Forte Goes Off the Cuff With Peter Travers

"June 10th my writing partners John Solomon, Jorma Taccone and I are locking ourselves in a room and writing it," Forte said during a break in promoting his role in Alexander Payne's Nebraska, now in competition at the Cannes Film Festival. "We were happy with how the original came out. I guess you wouldn't call it a [box office] success but people got to see it, sometimes you just have to be happy with that."

In the wake of his friend Bill Hader's exit from the show that spawned Forte's MacGyver-based caricature, Forte shared his feelings on his own exit. "It's like going through a bad breakup, you don't want to watch the show, you don't want to talk to them [the cast]. But now we're cool." His sporadic returns to the program are prompted usually by phone calls from Jason Sudeikis asking him to come back for fan favorites like the ESPN Classic commentators Twinkle and Stink.

As for producing MacGruber 2, Forte said, "We'll start it on our own, but it'd be great to have a budget again."