The first footage of the hotly anticipated The Hunger Games movie premiered during the MTV Video Music Awards tonight, one of the final segments in a show that included an Amy Winehouse tribute, a "surprise" Jay-Z and Kanye West performance and Lady Gaga as alter ego Jo Calderone for the entire telecast. Oscar nominee Jennifer Lawrence, who plays Katniss Everdeen in the first movie based on the best-selling trilogy, introduced the clip via a pre-taped segment from the movie's set in North Carolina.
The Hunger Games takes place in the dystopian future of Panem, where teenager Katniss is one of 24 contestants in the annual reality show to the death, the Hunger Games. The MTV clip showed her running through the woods in the arena where the Hunger Games take place, hearing the voice of her friend/confidant, Gale, while she dodges fire balls and prepares to aim her bow and arrow. As she shoots, the arrow crosses into the franchise's logo, the Mockingjay pin Katniss wears while in the deadly Games.
Though the footage wasn't much, it was the first clip of Lawrence in action as Katniss, something that will surely satisfy fans of the franchise until more footage is available ahead of the movie's March 23rd release date.
• 2011 MTV Video Music Awards: Winners and Highlights
• Photos: The 2011 MTV Video Music Awards: Best and Worst Dressed
• Live-Blogging the 2011 Video Music Awards
• Photos: The Best Moments of the 2011 Video Music Awards
• Video: Lady Gaga Opens VMAs With 'Yoü and I'
• Video: Adele Performs 'Someone Like You' on the VMAs
• Video: Beyonce Rocks 'Love on Top' on the VMAs
• Video: Bruno Mars Pays Tribute to Amy Winehouse at the VMAs
• Beyonce Reveals She's Pregnant
• Backstage at the VMAs: Rebecca Black, Tyler the Creator, Katy Perry, Nicki Minaj
• Lady Gaga as Jo Calderone: 'Britney Spears is Hot'
• Photos: Highlights of the 2010 Video Music Awards