The Top 10 Indie Movies:
1. Memento: A thriller that runs in reverse allows director Christopher Nolan, 31, to step forward with the year's most dazzling feat of cinematic originality.
2. Mulholland Drive: Life is but an L.A. dream for David Lynch, who dreams like no one else.
3. Waking Life: Richard Linklater's animated riff on the meaning of life goes places that Shrek and Monsters, Inc. never imagined.
4. Ghost World: Steve Buscemi as a love object for teen misfit Thora Birch is just one reason why this Terry Zwigoff film of Daniel Clowes' underground comic book cuts deep.
5. Hedwig and the Angry Inch: Songs, a sex change and a rock tour de force for writer, director and star John Cameron Mitchell.
6. Sexy Beast: A blazing Ben Kingsley is scarier than any Soprano in Jonathan Glazer's stylish gangster tale.
7. In the Bedroom: Actor turned director Todd Field brings lyrical grace to a revenge drama powered by brilliant turns from Sissy Spacek and Tom Wilkinson.
8. The Man Who Wasn't There: The Coen brothers do film noir set in a barber shop and, o brother, did it come out looking good.
9. Gosford Park: Playing the game of humor and homicide by his own rules, Robert Altman throws a posh party with a cast of Brit legends and serves up a full-course acting feast.
10. Amélie: A love letter to Paris, movies and luminous new star Audrey Tautou from Jean-Pierre Jeunet.
To read the new issue of Rolling Stone online, plus the entire RS archive: Click Here
MUSIC 9 Classic Devo Videos
OLYMPICS 18 Epic Opening Ceremonies
Picks From Around the Web
blog comments powered by Disqus