.

Shain Gandee Died From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Police confirm cause of 'Buckwild' star's death last weekend

April 3, 2013 1:30 PM ET
Shain Gandee of MTV's Buckwild
Shain Gandee of MTV's 'Buckwild'.
Peter Kramer/NBC/NBC NewsWire via Getty Images

Police have confirmed that Buckwild star Shain Gandee died from carbon monoxide poisoning. Gandee, 21, was found dead in Sissonville, West Virginia, Monday with his 48-year-old uncle David Gandee and 27-year-old friend Donald Robert Myers. All three deaths have been ruled accidental.

'Buckwild': Drink, Slap, Cry, Repeat

Gandee was reported missing over the weekend after leaving a bar early Sunday morning with his uncle. The two told others at the bar that they were going off-roading in Gandee's Ford Bronco. Kanawha County Commission Corporal B.D. Humphreys said the Bronco's muffler was stuck in mud, causing a gas leak into the car, according to US Weekly. Authorities needed a bulldozer to remove the vehicle from the mud.

Though Buckwild had been renewed for a second season, MTV has halted production on the rural West Virginia reality show. Gandee's family is currently raising funds for funeral expenses. "I know the strain they are going through," Shain's cousin Ashley Gandee, told TMZ. "It's hard to provide a proper burial. It's already tough with the loss of family members. . . . expenses are tough as well."

To read the new issue of Rolling Stone online, plus the entire RS archive: Click Here

prev
Movies Main Next

blog comments powered by Disqus
Daily Newsletter

Get the latest RS news in your inbox.

Sign up to receive the Rolling Stone newsletter and special offers from RS and its
marketing partners.

X

We may use your e-mail address to send you the newsletter and offers that may interest you, on behalf of Rolling Stone and its partners. For more information please read our Privacy Policy.

 
www.expandtheroom.com