.

Original 'Star Wars' Cast Signed on for New Films Before Disney Sale

George Lucas says he was in talks with Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill

George Lucas
Valerie Macon/Getty Images
March 8, 2013 8:40 AM ET

Turns out that speculation was moot over whether cast members from the original Star Wars movies would return for a new trilogy: George Lucas says Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill had all essentially agreed to return before Disney bought Lucasfilm last fall.

"We had already signed Mark and Carrie and Harrison – or we were pretty much in final stages of negotiation," Lucas said in a lengthy BloombergBusinessweek examination of how his $4.05 billion deal with Disney came together. He continued, "Maybe I'm not supposed to say that. I think they want to announce that with some big whoop-de-do, but we were negotiating with them." 

George Lucas and the Cult of Darth Vader

He added, "I won't say whether the negotiations were successful or not."

Some of them must have been: Fisher confirmed earlier this week that she would return as an "elderly" Princess Leia in Episode VII, which J.J. Abrams will direct. Ford and Hamill have each said they would be interested in reprising Han Solo and Luke Skywalker, respectively.

Disney plans three films that continue the main Star Wars narrative arc, and CEO Robert Iger has said the company also plans spin-off movies that would focus on other characters outside the main storyline. 

To read the new issue of Rolling Stone online, plus the entire RS archive: Click Here

prev
Movies Main Next

blog comments powered by Disqus
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Daily Newsletter

Get the latest RS news in your inbox.

Sign up to receive the Rolling Stone newsletter and special offers from RS and its
marketing partners.

X

We may use your e-mail address to send you the newsletter and offers that may interest you, on behalf of Rolling Stone and its partners. For more information please read our Privacy Policy.

 
www.expandtheroom.com