Cory Monteith's Cause of Death: Heroin and Alcohol Overdose

Autopsy results confirm the 31-year-old 'Glee' star's cause of death was accidental overdose

Cory Monteith
Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images
Cory Monteith
By |

The cause of Glee star Cory Monteith’s tragic death has been revealed in new autopsy findings.  The 31-year-old actor died on July 13th in Vancouver from “mixed drug toxicity, involving heroin and alcohol," British Columbia Coroners Service reported in a statement, according to Us Weekly.

'Glee Gone Wild' Writer Remembers Cory Monteith

Monteith’s autopsy confirmed Vancouver police’s dismissal of foul play upon examining his body, which was discovered in his hotel room at the Fairmount Pacific Rim Hotel after the actor missed his scheduled checkout time. "There is no evidence to suggest Mr. Monteith's death was anything other than a most-tragic accident," the report stated. "Mr. Monteith's family has been made aware of the circumstances surrounding the death. On behalf of family members, the BC Coroners Service asks that the media respect their privacy at this difficult time."

Monteith voluntarily entered rehab in April to treat an unspecified substance addiction, following an initial substance-treatment stint at age 19. He had been dating Glee costar Lea Michele at the time of his death.

For a look back at the talented singer-actor’s career, check out our roundup of his most memorable performances on Glee.