Table of Content
Issue 1198/1199 - December 19, 2013
Were you paying attention in 2013? Find out with rollingstone.com's deep dive into every music moment that mattered over the past 12 months - from the best country albums to the best rock books and much more.
Coming Soon: The Best Hip-HopKanye or Eminem? Pusha T or Earl Sweatshirt? We run down the best rap albums of 2013. Plus: the 10 best metal discs, mixtapes, music videos - and the best records that you probably missed.
Coming Soon: The Year's Big SplashesActs like Daft Punk, Jay Z, Arcade Fire, Lady Gaga and Katy Perry rolled out elaborate surprise campaigns to build pre-release hype for their albums this year. Who did it best?
Coming Soon: Rockers' Top Music PicksWhat were your favorite artists listening to in 2013? The National, Macklemore, Lorde, Haim, Keith Urban, Tegan and Sara, and Steve Van Zandt name the songs and LPs they loved the most.
Rock and Roll
- From downloading's decline to an array of album-promo stunts, this was the year pop's future arrived.
- Records of the Year The 50 best albums, 50 best songs and 10 best reissues
- Television of the Year Rob Sheffield on the 20 greatest TV moments of 2013.
- Movies of the Year Peter Travers picks his 10 best.
- The 100 Best Songs of the Year Anarchy on the hip-hop and pop charts and thrilling new energy in the EDM and indie-rock underground meant picking the best 100 songs amidst all this wasn't easy. But it was fun.
- Why America is drilling for more oil and burning more carbon than ever.
- John Mellencamp: My Life in 15 Songs He's had a great career, and he's hated almost every minute of it.
- Apocalypse, New Jersey A dispatch from America's most desperate town.
- The Men Who Leaked the Secrets How two angry geeks broke 2013's biggest story.
In this holiday season, let us pause to count 50 of the most jaw-dropping, most head-shaking, most OMFG-worthy bon mots dropped by right-wingers this year.
Noel Gallagher's Epic Year-End Gripe Session The Britpop vet praises Kanye, slams Arcade Fire and hints at new solo material in the works
- Random Notes Elton John took on Venus Williams at a charity tennis match; Ke$ha and Mick Jagger danced the night away.
Random Notes Online Your daily dose of rock's hottest shots
The 5 Worst TV Shows of 2013 Even in a year when TV was exploding with creativity, there was plenty of craven crapola around. These were the lowest of the low points.