Table of Content
Issue 1197 - December 5, 2013
In an excerpt from his autobiography, Iron Mike relives his early-Nineties glory days hanging out with Rick James, Eddie Murphy, Run-DMC, Prince and lots of women. "My days of abstinence were over," he says. "I was an extremist at everything."
U2's top-form set at 1983's US Festival is headed to DVD. Check out their intense performance of "Sunday Bloody Sunday."
See an exclusive preview of 'Zirka,' an eight-episode Web series about Plant's 2003 trip to Mali. "It was a journey of revelation," he says. "Illuminating and humbling."
Couples are celebrating after Illinois' general assembly approved a bill making it the latest state to legalize marriage equality. "It was right down to the wire," says one activist. "I'm still in shock."
Rock and Roll
- Inside the Yellow Dogs tragedy.
- Pop's New It Girl Sky Ferreira is a part-time model with a famous mug shot and a debut full of hooks and noise.
- Britney, Will.i.am Get Personal The pop diva prepares for her Las Vegas stand, teams with Black Eyed Pea on new LP.
- Roger Waters Rocks Out With War Heroes Pink Floyd leader jams for a good cause - and talks about his first rock LP since the Nineties.
- Danger Mouse's Cool, Catchy Midlife Crisis David Bowie, sci-fi, relationship problems: Inside the sessions for Broken Bells' sleek new album.
- Capital Cities' Pop Surprise How a Craigslist ad led to one of the year's catchiest hits.
- Fifty years after the president's death, his nephew recalls his attempts to end the Cold War.
- The Avetts' Long Road The hard-won triumph of North Carolina roots heroes the Avett Brothers.
- Charles Manson Today He's nearly 80 and his Family is smaller, but darkness still surrounds America's most notorious criminal.
11 Revealing Moments From Eminem's Early Days Check out these vintage clips of the rapper's budding skills
- Snapshot of a New Generation Don't compare millennials to Gen X or the baby boomers. A new 'Rolling Stone'/Pivot poll shows that young people are taking what works from both, and tossing the rest.
- The 2013 Holiday Gift Guide 33 genius stocking stuffers for all the music lovers in your life.
- 'Almost Human''s smart mash-up of cop shows and Eighties sci-fi.
- The Coens' Classic Folk Tale The directors on their new movie, 'Inside Llewyn Davis,' and the power of music on film.
- Random Notes Miley Cyrus smokes a joint on stage; Lenny Kravitz hangs with Hillary Clinton
Random Notes Online Your daily dose of rock's hottest shots
- Beyond Banksy Meet four hot street artists leaving their marks on the world.
- Q&A: R. Kelly The R&B giant on sex, songwriting and his ridiculously raunchy new LP.