We've just watched the first episode of Californication, a brave new dark comedy premiering on Showtime in August, and we're pleased to announce that it's not only our favorite new show, it's also the dirtiest program that's ever graced our TV without requiring our credit card number first. In the opening sequence alone, one-hit-wonder novelist Hank Moody (David Duchovny) walks into a church, throws a lit cigarette into the holy water, curses Jesus, lets a nun unzip his pants, hooks up with a married woman, uses graphic hand gestures to map out the wife's anatomy for her husband, introduces his 13-year-old daughter to a naked female "friend," and proceeds to [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] anything that's not illegal and/or threatening his kid. And yet, while we admit to getting a kick out of watching Agent Mulder ogle nine naked breasts in one episode (we counted) and reclaim a sexual term we haven't heard since junior high, we also love this show because it's an "adult comedy" that manages to actually be adult. When Hank's dealing with real issues -- "writers' block, child custody, unsettled terms with his ex -- he fires off the F-bomb with all the pathos that only a slutty alcoholic middle-aged single father can wield, and Duchovny's new, lined-forehead, greasy-haired look makes that pathos feel real. The haggard bad-ass thing works for the guy, and we can't wait to see more of it this fall.
The Filthiest New Show on Television: Showtime's "Californication"
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal10 Ways to Maximize Pleasure During Sex
The Daily Beast2015's Most Anticipated Movies
MicThe Best Album of the Year — You Won’t Hear at the Grammys
Mic13 Albums That Prove 2015 Will Be a Way Better Year for Music
Men's JournalHow Technology is Affecting Our Relationships
The Daily BeastAre These the Future Oscar Winners?
- Watch Kanye West Serenade Daughter in Heartwarming 'Only One' Video
- When Cops Break Bad: Inside a Police Force Gone Wild
- Justin Bieber Apologizes: 'I'm Not Who I Was Pretending to Be'
- The Super Bowl Scammer: Dion Rich Is the Godfather of Gatecrashing
- Tom Petty on Sam Smith Settlement: 'No Hard Feelings. These Things Happen'
- Watch Kip Moore Pull Putrid Prank on Dierks Bentley
- Flashback: Nirvana Play a Bit of Boston's 'More Than a Feeling'
- Blink-182's Hoppus, Barker Blast 'Ungrateful, Disingenuous' Tom DeLonge