Simon Cowell Explains Why He's Letting 12-Year-Olds Compete on 'X-Factor'

'I've never believed there should be a cut-off age for talent,' Cowell says of his new competition

Neil Mockford/FilmMagic
By |

Fans who've missed Simon Cowell since he left American Idol last year got a glimpse of the curmudgeonly judge during a Super Bowl spot promoting his new singing competition, The X Factor. Now additional details are emerging about the upcoming Fox show, which unlike Idol, will be open to anyone over age 12.

PHOTOS: See Simon and other judges before they were on Idol

"I like the idea that a 12-year-old on this show can compete with an older singer and a singing group," Cowell told UsMagazine.com in a statement. "I've never believed there should be a cut-off age for talent, and we are going to put our money where our mouths are with the $5 million recording contract."

On Monday, Cowell (along with Sony Music, FremantleMedia North America, and the network) put out a call for auditions to begin in L.A. March 27. Bands and solo contestants are encouraged to audition.

PHOTOS: See which Idol contestants have wed or had babies

Another deviation from Idol: Would-be performers will audition not only in front of panel of judges but also an audience of thousands.

The X Factor debuted in the U.K. in 2004 and has been the Number One program there for its entire seven-year run.

VIDEO: Stars reveal who they wanted to see judge Idol

Adds Cowell: "I'm doing this show in America because I genuinely believe we can find a superstar."

x