Saturday Night Live returned from its Winter Olympics hiatus this weekend with a killer sketch poking fun at the "We Are the World 25 For Haiti" single, where SNL cast members and guest host Jennifer Lopez assumed the guises of stars who didn't take part in the rerecording. "Recently, the music world came together to record 'We Are the World 2,' a song to raise awareness of the Haiti earthquake disaster; sadly, the song itself was a disaster," intoned Kenan Thompson, as Quincy Jones, adding that the new version recruited a "sloppy mess of half-famous Brandos" before introducing "We Are the World 3: Raising Awareness of the 'We Are the World 2' Disaster." (Our readers mostly agreed with "Quincy" 's assessment.) Inside the "We Are the World 25" recording sessions: photos. Lopez's portrayal of Rihanna scored points as the most scathing and hilarious, with J.Lo adding RiRi's trademark "ays" and "ella-ella-ay-ay" after every line. Kristen Wiig delivered a dead-on impression of Gwen Stefani, while other SNLers took on Adam Lambert, Willie Nelson, David Crosby, Lady Gaga and frequent SNL target Shakira. "Most people wouldn't take off their sunglasses," Bill Hader sings as Eddie Vedder as the SNL crew pokes fun at Justin Bieber, Vince Vaughn, Fonzworth Bentley and "the weird dude in the front row" (C'mon "Gaga," it's the Beach Boys' Al Jardine!). This isn't the first time SNL has had fun with "We Are the World": Back in 1985, "Prince," or Billy Crystal in Purple Rain garb, voiced his displeasure about being left off the "We Are the World" roster by singing "I Am Also the World." Hulk Hogan and Mr. T serve as Prince's bodyguards, and yes, that's Julia Louis-Dreyfus — Elaine Benes herself — portraying one-half of "Wendy and Lisa." Check out the hilarious clip below, which no doubt inspired Huey Lewis' recent "I Am the World" on the Jimmy Kimmel Show.
• Huey Lewis Carries the Weight of "The World" in Kimmel Clip
• Jay-Z, Fans React to "We Are the World 25 for Haiti"
• Preview the New "We Are the World," Plus Meet Nine-Year-Old Singer Ethan Bortnick
Jennifer Lopez Plays Rihanna as "SNL" Mocks "We Are the World"
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
The Daily Beast2015's Most Anticipated Movies
MicThe Best Album of the Year — You Won’t Hear at the Grammys
MicRihanna Just Dropped a New Track With Kanye West
Men's Journal5 Benefits of Dating the Old-Fashioned Way
The Daily BeastAre These the Future Oscar Winners?
- Blink-182's Hoppus, Barker Blast 'Ungrateful, Disingenuous' Tom DeLonge
- ‘Ghostbusters' Reboot Sets All-Female Cast, Release Date
- 'Fantastic Four' Prepare for Future in New Trailer
- 'American Sniper' Is Almost Too Dumb to Criticize
- 5 Ways the WWE Can Rescue Roman Reigns
- Blink-182's Tom DeLonge Defends Himself Against Bandmates' Accusations
- Strippers, Rappers and VR Porn: Welcome to Internext
- Lance Armstrong Talks Trash in RATM Offshoot Future User's 'Mountain Lion' Video